Monday, February 20, 2006

EROS and THANATOS in Literature - February 22, 2006

Welcome to the Homepage of the UBC Classical, Near Eastern, and Religious Studies Students Association

UBC Classical, Near Eastern and Religious Studies Students' Association:
[Home] [About Us] [Grad Photos] [Executive]

"EROS and THANATOS in Literature:
Readings on Love and Death"

"Death, be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for thou art not so;
For those whom thou think'st thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me."

-- John Donne,
Holy Sonnets: Death, be not proud

Wednesday, February 22, 2006
Buchanan A 202 from 5-7 p.m.


"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's

Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.

(...)--and, if God choose,

I shall but love thee better after death."

-- Elizabeth Barrett Browning,
Sonnets from the Portuguese 43: How do I Love thee?

Readings are welcome (and indeed, encouraged) from any genre, any time period, and any language (translations preferred in the case of the latter). Due to the popularity of the event, space on the reading list is limited. Please e-mail CNERS_SA(at)hotmail.com to assure you are signed up. Include your name and selection you would like to read (length, title, author).

"Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;

The carriage held but just ourselves

And Immortality."

-- Emily Dickinson, The Chariot (Because I could not stop for Death)